What does it REALLY mean to Shop Local?
What does it REALLY mean to Shop Local?
These days, we hear, “Shop Local” almost every day. Members of various Facebook groups share how they bought a gift card for this business or got takeout from that business. There is talk of supporting local restaurants in the wake of COVID and sad stories shared when another local shop, store or restaurant closes down temporarily or for good. What if you could impact WHICH stores stay open just by making an effort to pay attention where you spend your money?
You can. But first, you have to understand what it means to truly support local business.
Shopping local is the act of everyday consumers, like you, making the decision to buy your produce, clothing and day to day items from a local business, owned by a local resident, instead of going to a large retailer. For every dollar spent at a locally-owned establishment, nearly 45% of that revenue stays in the local community with another 9% being spent elsewhere in the state. These expenditures include employee wages/benefits, inventory, supplies, and services from other local businesses, profits accrued to the local owners, state and local taxes, and charitable contributions.
If Aldi’s is 2.5 miles from your house, does that qualify as shopping local? What if the cashier is your friend's grandson? Unfortunately, while this is shopping locally, this is not shopping local or buying from a locally owned, small-business.
In contrast to shopping at a locally-owned establishment, for every dollar spent at a chain store, only 14% of the revenue typically stays in the local community, mostly in the form of payroll. The balance of that money flows to out-of-state suppliers, or back to the parent corporation.
Keep these tips in mind when considering where you buy your weekly groceries, your personal care items, your household supplies and even your next meal.
- SHOP SMALL: Think independent companies. If you know the owner by name and you know where they live, that’s local. You can even support local on websites like Etsy by searching for artists in your area.
- SPEND LOCAL: Don’t purchase all your groceries from large chains just because you assume that smaller grocers are more expensive. Often smaller grocery stores are just as competitive on staples, but they lack the large marketing budget to get that word out to you. Also, think about where the money you spend to purchase a bushel of apples from Publix goes? Publix imports many of their fruits and veggies from outside the region. That money then leaves the local economy and goes to the large farm supplying the chain.
- EAT LOCAL – Know where the food you eat comes from. This does more than just support small independent food producers. It also has a direct impact on your healthy and quality of life. When you know what’s in your food, you are likely to make better choices. Plus, food made by people with love and nourishing intentions is better for you!
Remember, local, independently owned small-businesses are operated by your neighbors; people that you can talk to directly.
While we don't expect you to Shop Local, simply to say you are doing it, it is possible to support your local independent businesses and stick to a budget. If you need better prices, ask for them. If you can’t find a product that you love on their shelves, ask them to order it. Small businesses often go above and beyond to earn and keep your business, so give them a chance!
Here is how Nuts ‘n Berries is working to earn your grocery & supplement business and how we hope to supply your healthy meals for years to come>
- Monthly coupons – Save 10% on your entire shopping trip each week in July! Pick up groceries, sides for dinner and even a healthy hot lunch from our Cafe while you are in! Plus save 20% on all supplements in July to help fill the gaps in your healthy routine.
- Monday deals – Pick up our Monthly Flyer to shop amazing deals on the items you purchase every day
- Rewards program – Earn 1 point for every $ you spend. Earn 250 points and receive a $5 credit on your next purchase.
- Special orders- Can’t find an item? We will happily order it for you
- Curbside pickup and free local delivery at both our Brookhaven and Decatur locations
- Competitive pricing on all organic produce
- Over 500 items from local vendors that are produced with local ingredients!
Nuts ‘n Berries Healthy Market
Long live the little guy.