Food Service Manager (Decatur)
FOOD SERVICE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Position: Food Service Manager
Department: Hot Bar/Kitchen
Supervises: All hot bar and kitchen department staff
Reports to: General Manager
Purpose: To oversee production of the Nuts ‘n Berries Decatur hot bar and kitchen to meet company goals for sales, margin, labor expense and customer service.
Food Service Operations
- Ensure prompt, friendly, helpful customer service by kitchen and hot bar staff.
- Plan and implement systems for efficient food production.
- Ensure entire hot bar and kitchen department operates in compliance with health department regulations.
- Oversee cooks in preparing consistent deli offerings and maintaining up-to-date and standardized recipes.
- Establish record-keeping and pricing procedures, to meet margin goals and ensure accurate, up to date records of costs of production.
- Establish proper storage and labeling procedures in accordance with health department and national organic regulations.
- Research and recommend purchases of equipment and other large capital expenditures for department as the need arises.
- Maintain department equipment in working order. Troubleshoot problems and arrange for repairs.
- Work with human resources department to hire qualified applicants following established policy.
- Ensure and document on-the-job training.
- Conduct probationary, semi-annual, and annual performance evaluations.
- Take disciplinary action as needed following established policies.
- Monitor hours for kitchen and deli staff within budget and review payroll records.
- Develop master schedule.
- Organize meetings for staff as needed.
- Ensure department staff is informed of storewide meetings and policy changes.
- Ensure safe working practices and food safety training for department staff.
- Research and develop new recipes to provide both variety and consistency of kitchen offerings.
- Plan new products and customer services (e.g. catering) to be offered by food service departments.
- Set pricing guidelines to meet margin goals.
- Set standards for displays and signage in hot bar, working with the marketing department.
- Visit other stores and hot bars for price comparisons, ideas for displays and products.
- Ensure attractive, readable signs/menus with accurate prices and ingredients.
- Attend meetings as requested to plan promotions and merchandising.
- Participate in setting sales, margin and labor goals for department. Review financial reports of departments’ performance and take corrective action as needed.
- Attend management team meetings and storewide meetings.
- Perform other tasks assigned by General Manager.
- Perform Manager on Duty shifts as assigned.
- Assist customers in all departments, in prompt friendly courteous manner, referring them to other staff when necessary.
- Answer & route phone calls.
DIRECT SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Primary responsibilities: hiring, performance evaluations and addressing disciplinary issues with Employees.
Education/ Training: High School education or GED required.
Experience: at least 5 years supervisory experience- hiring, evaluating and initiating/documenting disciplinary procedures with employees. Proven leadership abilities. Experience managing a restaurant, deli, food service, or catering operation. Experience in food and labor cost control. Strong customer service background.
Knowledge/Skills: Computer skills: spreadsheet, word processing and internet. Ability to use menu planning software. Ability to read department financial reports. Ability to operate professional kitchen equipment.
Attendance: Regular, predictable attendance.
Other: Maintain accurate records. Ability to work closely with others. Familiarity with natural foods. Excellent communication skills—good listener, clear instructions. Strong organizational skills.
If you meet these requirements and are interested in joining our team, please send your resume to email@example.com.